RECIPE FROM "SANDY'S
Lone Star Dip
(From Woman's Day Magazine)
1 can (16 oz) traditional refried beans
1 can (15 oz) hot chili with beef and beans
1 cup (4 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
1 teaspoon each ground cumin and garlic salt
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1. Have ready a round 1¼-qt baking dish or a deep 9- to 10-in. pie plate. Cut a 6¼-in. star from a 10-in.-long piece of foil.
2. Stir refried beans in a medium bowl to loosen. Stir in chili until blended. Spread in baking dish; sprinkle with ¼ cup Cheddar cheese.
3. Mix cream cheese, cumin and garlic salt in a medium bowl. Stir in sour cream until blended. Spoon dollops over cheese, then spread carefully without disturbing cheese.
4. With star cutout centered, lay foil over dish. Gently press down on foil; fill star with remaining Cheddar cheese. Carefully lift foil straight up. Cover dish with a new sheet of foil and refrigerate up to 3 days.
5. To serve: Heat oven to 400°F. Bake covered dip (directly from refrigerator) 30 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle scallions around edge. Serve with tortilla chips.