GRANDMA'S BROWN SUGAR PIE
Ingredients for Filling:
1 unbaked 9" pie shell
4 egg yolks
12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1. In an unbaked 9" pie shell, stir in with your fingers (yep, your fingers), 4 egg yolks (reserve whites).
2. Add one 12 oz. can of evaporated milk--pouring it over the yolks. Then stir in, with fingers, the 1-tsp. of vanilla.
3. Mix the 1 cup (packed) of brown sugar with the 2 tbsp. flour and 1/4 tsp. of salt and sprinkle it evenly into the egg/milk mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until custard filling is done.
1. Take the reserved egg whites and add 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks form.
2. Gradually add 6-tbsp. sugar beating till stiff, glossy peaks form and all sugar is dissolved.
3. Spread meringue over hot pie, sealing to the edges ad bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Let cool before serving. Enjoy!
(Note: I don't have any idea why you have to stir with your fingers .... that's just what grandma's recipe says .... so I do it)