RECIPE FROM "SANDY'S
(Emeril Lagasse, Good Morning America)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 pound andouille or other smoked sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/4 pound boiled ham, cut into small dice
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped vine-ripened tomato
6 cups milk
2 cups quick-cooking white grits
1/2 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped green onions or scallions( green part only)
1/4 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
1. In a large, heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, celery, salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
2. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage and ham and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and tomato and cook for 2 minutes. Add the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the grits.
4. Stir for 2 minutes, then add the shrimp. Cook, stirring until grits are tender and creamy, 7 to 8 minutes.
5. Stir in the green onions, then add the cheese and stir until it is completely melted, about 30 seconds. Serve hot right form the pot.
Recipes copyright ©1999 Emeril Lagasse.